We strive to create inclusive STEM communities to grow future generations of passionate problem solvers.
Interested in the team?
The Application Process will be open during the month of September, 2021. Previous experience is not required – only enthusiasm and curiosity, COVID-19 vaccination, and the willingness to complete all parts of our application process (all new and returning students). Please mind the deadlines – they are firm.
The team meets every Tuesday from 4:30-8:30 pm in the fall, then three times a week (Likely Tuesday and Thursday from 4:30-8:30 pm, and Saturday from 9-3 pm) during the build season, which starts in January. Plus assorted weekend and other days, because robotics is fun and so are special events!
- Experience the Team! (must attend at least one):
- September 21: 4:30-8:30 pm, GRS, dinner included
- September 23: 4:30-8:30 pm, GRS, dinner included
- September 28: 4:30-8:30 pm, GRS, dinner included
- Fill out Student Application (complete by midnight, September 28th)
- Signup for one Conversation/Informal Interview on September 30th or October 2nd with Mentors via Zoom – signup early for more time slot options! Be sure to sign up for a student spot related to the sub-team you want to join.
Team Selection/Accepting Team Position
Watch your email on Sunday, October 3rd to see if you have been offered a spot on the team.
To accept your spot, look in your email for a message from REDCap. Follow the link to create your account. Once you login, navigate to the Record Status Dashboard, and click on the circle under Tasks. Answer the first question on that page to accept your position on the team!
Congratulations – at that point – you’re on the team!
Once On the Team
Once on the team, please:
- Login to REDCap. Navigate to the Record Status Dashboard. Click on the circle in the Tasks column to see the additional tasks you will need to complete in the first few weeks:
- Come to practice on October 5th! (4:30-8:30 pm at GRS, dinner included)
- Attend the retreat October 8-10th (Originally 2 nights at a cabin, but may become an all-day Saturday outside event instead – stay tuned)
- Attend regular practices every Tuesday from 4:30-8:30 pm.
- Recruitment Video for GRS Schoology Club Fair (YouTube: 3:30 minutes)
Made in 2020. First part is good, the COVID-specific bits aren’t as current.
- 2491 NoMythic Parent Handout 2021 (PDF)
Safety has always been a top priority for robotics. This year, that includes measures to keep team members from getting sick or spreading the virus. At the same time, we know that it is not possible to do robotics entirely remotely. Each family/student will have to decide for themselves if they can participate in specific activities.
- Vaccination is required for any student or mentor attending robotics events in person.
- Masks are required for all indoor events as of September, 2021, regardless of vaccination status. The team will follow the GRS school policy on masks.
- Team members are reminded to stay home when they’re stick or have symptoms, and to get tested anytime you might be infected.
- Overnight trips, such as the annual retreat, or the Duluth competition in March, will be subject to a COVID assessment in the weeks leading up to the event. No student or mentor shall be penalized for missing events due to COVID concerns.
- Team size: NoMythic is capped at 29 students primarily from 9-12th grades, with 8th graders admitted only by exception.
- Build: 12 students + 2 student captains
- Programming: 6 students + 1 student captain
- Business/Operations: 6 students + 1 student captain
- 1 overall team captain