We strive to create inclusive STEM communities to grow future generations of passionate problem solvers.
Are you interested in…
- Marketing, Fundraising, and Managing a $60k/ year business
- Building a 5 foot tall, 150 lb robot
- Competing with teams from around the state and around the world
- Meeting new people and building community within our team and the entire FIRST organization
- Learning new skills
- Scholarship opportunities
- Partnering with STEM professionals
- Leadership opportunities
Or maybe you don’t know what you’re interested in yet. Come check out 2491 NoMythic!
The Application Process will be open during the month of September, 2022. We are looking for enthusiastic and curious students who are ready to jump into a new world of robotics – previous experience is not required.
The team meets every Tuesday from 4:30-8:30 pm in the fall, then three times a week – Tuesday and Thursday from 4:30-8:30 pm, and Saturday from 9-3 pm – during the build season, which starts with Kickoff on the first Saturday in January. We also have assorted (usually optional) extra practices and events.
- Experience the Team Nights! Show up to our shop on one of the following dates to show interest in the team, and find out what area of robotics works best for you. (must attend at least one):
- September 22: 4:30-8:30 pm, GRS, dinner included
- September 27: 4:30-8:30 pm, GRS, dinner included
- September 29: 4:30-8:30 pm, GRS, dinner included
- Fill out Student Application (link): complete by midnight, September 29th
- Signup for one Conversation/Informal Interview (link) on September 30th or October 1st with Mentors via Zoom – signup early for more time slot options! Be sure to sign up for a student spot related to the sub-team you want to join.
Please mind the deadlines – they are firm.
Team Selection/Accepting Team Position
Watch your email on Sunday, October 2nd to see if you have been offered a spot on the team.
Details on how to accept your position on the team coming soon.
Congratulations – at that point – you’re on the team!
Once On the Team
Once on the team, please:
- Ask your parent(s) or guardian(s) (one required, additional welcome) to fill out the NoMythic Parent/Guardian Registration (link coming soon.)
- Signup for the team with FIRST
- Pay team fee ($250, sliding scale)
- Come to practice on October 4th! (4:30-8:30 pm at GRS, dinner included)
- Attend regular practices every Tuesday from 4:30-8:30 pm.
- Link to 2491 NoMythic Parent Handout 2022 (PDF) coming soon
Safety has always been a top priority for robotics. This year, that includes measures to keep team members from getting sick or spreading the virus. At the same time, we know that it is not possible to do robotics entirely remotely. Each family/student will have to decide for themselves if they can participate in specific activities.
- Vaccination is required for any student or mentor attending robotics events in person.
- Mask policy
- Currently mask are optional at team events and practices.
- Our policiy will follow the most protetive version between Great River and Avalons offical policies. In addtion, we will lag two weeks behind any policiy relaxation to allow the team to prepare and adjust our praticies.
- Team members are reminded to stay home when they’re sick or have symptoms, and to get tested anytime you might be infected.
- Overnight trips, such as the annual retreat, or the Duluth competition in March, will be subject to a COVID assessment in the weeks leading up to the event. No student or mentor shall be penalized for missing events due to COVID concerns.
- Team size: NoMythic is capped at 29 students primarily from 9-12th grade, with 8th graders admitted only by exception. We also have 11 adult mentors as of September 2022.
- Build: 12 students + 2 student captains
- Programming: 5 students + 2 student captains
- Business/Operations: 6 students + 1 student captain
- 1 overall team captain